What are some green ways that you can keep your home cool in the summer?
The importance of keeping your Southern MD home cool in the summertime. Brought to you by the owner for Buckler Electric.
As an electrician from Buckler Electric located in St. Mary’s County MD, I understand the importance of keeping your home cool in the summertime. However, many of our traditional ways of cooling our homes, such as air conditioning, can have negative impacts on the environment and our energy bills. In this article, I will be discussing some green ways to keep your home cool in the summer, the benefits of using Energy Star certified HVAC units, and how operating ceiling fans can make a significant difference.
- Green Ways To Keep Your Home Cool
Here are some eco-friendly ways that you can keep your home cool in the summer:
- Plant Trees: Trees are an excellent way to shade your home and block out the sun’s rays. They also add aesthetic beauty to your property. Consider planting deciduous trees on the east, west, and northwest side of your property. Look for trees that lose their leaves in the fall, allowing sunlight into your home during the winter months.
- Use Fans: Fans circulate air, promoting ventilation and evaporation of sweat on our bodies. A ceiling fan used in conjunction with an open window can create a comfortable breeze. It can also help reduce your energy bills, as you can set your thermostat higher with a ceiling fan.
- Natural Ventilation: Opening windows and doors when the temperature outside is cooler than the inside, like at night, can help reduce your home’s temperature without using any energy.
- Insulation: Insulate your attic, walls, and floors. This helps keep the cool air inside your home during the summer months and heated air in during the winter months.
- Energy Star Certified HVAC Units
Energy Star certified HVAC units use 10-15% less energy than conventional units. This not only lowers your energy bills, but it also reduces the amount of greenhouse gases emitted while running the unit. If you’re in need of a new HVAC unit one of the trained professionals from Buckler Electric can help you choose an Energy Star unit that suits your needs and your budget.
- Operate Ceiling Fans
Ceiling fans help make a home feel cooler during the summer months by promoting ventilation and air circulation. Running a ceiling fan allows you to set your thermostat higher, saving you on your energy bills. A ceiling fan also helps distribute cool air, making your home feel more comfortable.
Keeping your home cool during the summer doesn’t have to rely solely on air conditioning. As an electrician, I suggest using natural ventilation, insulation, using fans, and planting trees to keep your home cool. Using an Energy Star certified HVAC unit and operating a ceiling fan are also great ways to reduce your energy bills. Contact Buckler Electric for your residential and commercial electrical needs. Read more of our electrical services